Hamptons International offers an extensive portfolio of the UK and international property, marketed via our more than 90 offices.
Hamptons International has provided market-leading property expertise – locally, nationally and internationally – for 150 years. Our property-based services include sales, lettings, residential development services, new development sales, international estate agency, financial services, property investments, valuation, wealth and property management, corporate home search and tenancy management.
The History of Hamptons International
Hamptons International originally started in 1830 when William Hampton opened a shop in Cranbourn Street, London for the sale of furniture. In 1869, the shop was destroyed by fire and Hamptons Limited was formed with George Hampton being named as the Managing Director. A satellite store also opened on Wimbledon Common.
The estate agency business was also established in 1869, with an office on Pall Mall and eight staff. Following a bombing raid during the First World War, the site then moved to the Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery.
Hamptons continued to grow through the 1920s with the addition of a successful auction house, whose most notable sales were the luxury liner, The Mauritania, sister ship to the fateful Titanic, and also the Cameroon islands!
In 1936, the Estate Office moved to the former French embassy building on Arlington Street, and 21 years later, the estate agency separated from the parent company when a partnership was formed by the founder’s grandson.
During the 1980s, there was a period of expansion and acquisition, culminating in Hamptons being bought by Bristol & West Building Society. In February 1996, Hamptons was purchased by Cluttons London Residential Agency, and then in 2005, it was purchased again by Wheelock Properties (Singapore) limited. In August 2006, the global real estate giant, Emaar Properties, acquired Hamptons International and in June 2010, Hamptons International was acquired by Countrywide, the UK’s largest estate agency.